Functional Medicine is a science-based approach. It emphasizes systems function/dysfunction over ICD-10 diagnosis. It also emphasizes the healing partnership. By addressing underlying/root causes, it can save money and improve health outcomes for our clients.
Important elements include:
1. Promotion of health as a positive vitality, not just the absence of symptoms
2. Respect for Biochemical Individuality
3. A dynamic balance of internal and external factors
4. View of health and illness as manifestations of web-like interconnections of physiological factors e.g.
immunological dysfunction can provoke cardiovascular disease
gastrointestinal dysfunction can cause hormonal and immunological disturbances
5. Patient-centered medicine